I don't want to cut up the large flowers on these fat quarters, so I think the logical thing would be to feature them as big, big center squares. I'm thinking about 14"-16" squares, and then cutting the sashing about 6" wide. It's another project so soon after the Halloween quilt (which remains unquilted), but I can't let my sewing machine cool down...if you sew, you know what I mean.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Monday, May 28, 2012
Today I sewed a pair of drawstring pants. While trying them on and seeing myself in the mirror, I decided they make me look 'dumpy'. Well, maybe it's them, maybe it's me -- but I suspect it might be the Little Debbie cakes. After hemming, they'll go into the closet for a few months and we'll see what happens after me saying "NO!" to the Little Debbie snacks.
Friday, May 25, 2012
I finally decided on this scrappy placement for the backing. Getting a design with the leftover squares required a lot of thought, but it finally came together...and I'm pleased with the result. I think a 5 year old will like it...
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
There were lots of small blocks left over after pieceing the Halloween quilt top, so I'm thinking of doing a mish-mash of the left overs for the backing. I've placed envelope corners (lower left and right) to mark the area I need to fill. Several strips (not shown) have been stitched together, but their placement will have to wait until tomorrow....I'm seeing spots, bats and pumpkins right now.
Friday, May 18, 2012
Another pillowcase for Granddaughter Alannah. This one is made from a Minkee charm pack (from Missouri Star Quilt Company). The cuff and back is Minkee yardage from Sew-Bee-It. Minkee fabric is so-o-o-o soft and cuddly, well --- kinda like mink (or so I'm told -- never had one, nor wanted one). Sewing it produced so much fuzz that I had to clean my machine which had been cleaned just a month or so ago.
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
I rescued 2 orphan quilt squares from a scrap bag (given to me). After squaring them, I applied sew-in interfacing and backed them with pre-washed flannel. I did 'stitch in the ditch' to get a quilted feeling. The lining (on the right) was cut from an old skirt which my husband never liked -- so I've given it new life.
Draw strings were cut 2" wide from red fabric, then double folded and wobble stitched to close the edges. They were then attached to the bottom corners and threaded through the casing (sewn from fabric scraps and attached to the top).
Using it as a backpack leaves my hands free for wandering through the quilt shop (which I did today) or it can be carried as a purse. And it was free!
Thursday, May 3, 2012
This dresden plate design was cut from scraps...hand stitched center...then machine basted to the background fabric...