Tuesday, May 15, 2012

free backpack made from orphan squares

I rescued 2 orphan quilt squares from a scrap bag (given to me).  After squaring them,  I applied sew-in interfacing and backed them with pre-washed flannel.  I did 'stitch in the ditch' to get a quilted feeling.  The lining (on the right) was cut from an old skirt which my husband never liked -- so I've given it new life. 
Draw strings were cut 2" wide from red fabric, then double folded and wobble stitched to close the edges.  They were then attached to the bottom corners and threaded through the casing (sewn from fabric scraps and attached to the top). 
Using it as a backpack leaves my hands free for wandering through the quilt shop (which I did today) or it can be carried as a purse.  And it was free! 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, BJ, glad your back. Great idea, that backpack. I may have to try it as I've lots of orphan blocks sitting around. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
best, nadia

bj said...

Thanks so much for your nice comment about my 'free' backpack/purse! I love 'free', don't you? My grandmother always stressed "...waste not, want not..." so I'm always looking for ways to rethink and reuse items. I've been away from blogging for awhile (my computer went 'kaput' and had to be reworked). I'll be stopping by your blog again soon :o)